Unlike cold rolling, the hot rolling process is carried out above recrystallization temperature. The component produced by this method does not get work hardened. Large cross sectional change is possible by this method. For producing the hollow cross sectional components, additional mandrill is used along with the rollers.
Level of surface finish achieved: 50-6.3 micro meters
– Drastic shape change is possible
– Good microstructure and good strength
– Less dimensional tolerance compared to cold rolling.
– Poor surface finish.
Ideal applications: Ideal for making long structural members like I-beam, C-channel, tubular sections etc. normally made up of structural steel.
Disclaimer: I work for Altair. mechGuru.com is my personal blog. Although i have tried to put my neutral opinion while writing about different competitor's technologies, still i would like you to read the articles by keeping my background in mind.
Latest posts by Shibashis Ghosh (see all)
- INR 0.8 Million per Kg is the Cost of NOT Doing Design Optimization – How? - November 6, 2018
- How to Make Line Follower Robot without Using Microcontroller - September 15, 2018
- Design for Additive Manufacturing Worksheet - July 7, 2018