The gas cutting or flame cutting or oxygas cutting (or simply gas cutting) equipment typically consists of a cutting torch (or nozzle) connected with two cylinders, one of the cylinders is filled with oxygen and another with acetylene. The acetylene is supplied initially to the flame to locally heat up the work piece up to melting temperature and then oxygen is supplied to oxidize and burn out the molted metals, as a result metals get cut.
Level of surface finish achieved: 50-6.3 micro meters
– Less equipment cost
– Portable equipment
– Easy to operate
– The materials of the heat affected zone become brittle.
– Not suitable for reactive materials
Ideal applications: Used for cutting iron and steel components.
Disclaimer: I work for Altair. mechGuru.com is my personal blog. Although i have tried to put my neutral opinion while writing about different competitor's technologies, still i would like you to read the articles by keeping my background in mind.
Latest posts by Shibashis Ghosh (see all)
- Design for Additive Manufacturing Worksheet - July 7, 2018
- 3D Printing Simulation Software – Are They Capable Enough? - July 16, 2017
- Do Value Engineering Upfront, Right at Design Stage - November 22, 2015