In turning process, a single point cutting tool (normally made up of HSS) is used for removing materials from a fast rotating work piece necessarily by using a machine called lathe.
Level of surface finish achieved: 25-0.025 micro meters
– Variety of materials can be chosen for turning
– Lead time is shorter
– Tight tolerance can be achieved
– Large scrap wastage
– Limited to axis-symmetric circular cross sectional components
– Equipment cost is quite high.
Ideal applications: Ideal for producing different types of shafts and similar axisymmetric components made up of mild steel, stainless steel, copper, aluminum etc.
Disclaimer: I work for Altair. mechGuru.com is my personal blog. Although i have tried to put my neutral opinion while writing about different competitor's technologies, still i would like you to read the articles by keeping my background in mind.
Latest posts by Shibashis Ghosh (see all)
- Design for Additive Manufacturing Worksheet - July 7, 2018
- 3D Printing Simulation Software – Are They Capable Enough? - July 16, 2017
- Do Value Engineering Upfront, Right at Design Stage - November 22, 2015