In gravity die casting process, reusable metallic molds are used for creating the mold cavity where molten metal are poured without applying any force or pressure other than gravity. A silicate based coating is sprayed over the inner surface of the mold cavity before pouring the molten metal.
Level of surface finish achieved: 3.2-0.40 micro meters
– Good surface finish compare
– Low cost setup
– Waste can be recycled
– Quick cycle time
– Suitable for simple components
– Chances of defects are high
Ideal applications: Suitable for producing aluminum alloy and other similar light metal components. This process gives smoother surface than sand casting.
Disclaimer: I work for Altair. mechGuru.com is my personal blog. Although i have tried to put my neutral opinion while writing about different competitor's technologies, still i would like you to read the articles by keeping my background in mind.
Latest posts by Shibashis Ghosh (see all)
- Design for Additive Manufacturing Worksheet - July 7, 2018
- 3D Printing Simulation Software – Are They Capable Enough? - July 16, 2017
- Do Value Engineering Upfront, Right at Design Stage - November 22, 2015