It is a surface finishing process. The basics of lapping process is moving the work piece surface (to be finished) very slowly against some sort of abrasives. The abrasives can be either loosely spread over a hard substrate or rigidly glued over the substrate surface. Also, the process of lapping can be either performed manually or by using a machine.
Level of surface finish achieved: 0.8-0.012 micro meters
– Variety of materials can be chosen
– Great surface finish
– Tight tolerance can be achieved
– It is a slow process
Ideal applications: Ideal for making surface specimens for metallurgical testing.
Disclaimer: I work for Altair. mechGuru.com is my personal blog. Although i have tried to put my neutral opinion while writing about different competitor's technologies, still i would like you to read the articles by keeping my background in mind.
Latest posts by Shibashis Ghosh (see all)
- 3D Printing Simulation Software – Are They Capable Enough? - July 16, 2017
- Do Value Engineering Upfront, Right at Design Stage - November 22, 2015
- HPDC vs LPDC - November 7, 2015