The honing process is carried out by mechanically rubbing the honing stone (cutting tool here) against the work piece surface (normally internal) along the controlled path. Honing can produce a surface roughness level up to 0.1 micro meters.
Level of surface finish achieved: 1.6-0.025 micro meters
– Variety of materials can be chosen
– Good surface finish
– Equipment cost is quite high.
– Tool wear is quite high.
Ideal applications: Ideal for finishing the internal surfaces of I.C engine cylinders, hydraulic cylinders and other cylinders where retention of lubricants film over the surface is important functionally.
Disclaimer: I work for Altair. mechGuru.com is my personal blog. Although i have tried to put my neutral opinion while writing about different competitor's technologies, still i would like you to read the articles by keeping my background in mind.
Latest posts by Shibashis Ghosh (see all)
- How to Make Line Follower Robot without Using Microcontroller - September 15, 2018
- Design for Additive Manufacturing Worksheet - July 7, 2018
- 3D Printing Simulation Software – Are They Capable Enough? - July 16, 2017